This blog is inactive now, but you can follow the continuing adventures of Heath Mullikin at heathmullikin.com!
If you need help you can call 1-800-394-HOPE(4693). Also, check out the the official To Save a Life site, the Need Help page, and the Resource page for youth pastors, parents, and students. Let me know what you think of the movie, and how you plan to use it and its message with your students, church, or school.
Here’s the 1-13-2010 edition of the 642 news.
As I type this, here are the big news stories of the day.
1. Mark McGwire admitted to using steroids at various points in his career including 1998 when he broke Roger Maris’ homerun record. Did anyone not know? That was a great summer of baseball. It may have saved the game plus it provided us with this moment. I’ve said it before and I will say it here again: McGwire broke no Major League Baseball rules. He didn’t take any substances that were banned. What he did was wrong and unethical, but none of us cared when we gathered around TV sets that whole summer and fall waiting for him to break the record. Don’t rebuke his records and stats unless you’re willing to quit watching and give back all the happiness you enjoyed watching Mark and Sammy.
2. Simon Cowell leaving American Idol. I guess TMZ was right(dude, they’re right alot. Sleazy, but right) when they approached Randy Jackson the other day and the dude was clueless about it. Simon IS American Idol. Mr. Cowell, Ryan Seacrest thanks you. This is not shocking. Simon knows that one of the keys to maintaining success is moving on to your next project before the downward spiral occurs. There goes 4 more jobs under the Obama administration. Ellen is the only other judge who had a job before the show. Will it ever end? But wait…
3. Sarah Palin has a job now…with Fox News as a contributor. I don’t see what the big deal is. People who hated Fox News this morning still hate them and everyone else now has another reason to watch. I don’t have cable so it doesn’t affect me.
4. Tobey Macguire and Sam Raimi are off of the Spiderman series. They had a nice run. I was hoping they would get a change to redeem Spidey 3, but it looks like the web slinger is getting a reboot. Some things should be left alone. Next thing you know they’ll be trying to make us forget about Superman’s son. Oh NO!
5. Avatar is fast becoming a real challenger to Titanic for highest grossing movie ever. I think only half as many people have seen it, it’s just that they’re all paying $15 a ticket for 3D IMAX. I haven’t seen it, but I’ve only heard great things about it. We’ll be seeing it in 2D IHOUSE.
6. NBC is a joke. I’m gonna miss Leno’s monologue at 10, but they have totally jacked this up. Once again, TMZ was ahead on this story before everyone. Who would have thought that our most reliable unbiased news source this decade would be the dude from People’s Court and a bunch of stoners sitting around their cubicles? That show makes me feel good about my life…that I have one. Wait a minute…when did I start watching TMZ? I blame the digital box.
7. As I type this, David Caruso is arresting Cameron from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off on CSI Miami.
8. Made some changes to Chase Your Lion dot com. Let me know what you think. Big changes in store for this site. Gonna do a relaunch. I will let the five of you know…and mom.
Here are the things I’m working on that have been keeping me from giving you your Daily Dose of Heath.
1. Holiday travel
2. #LoveMercy Charlotte-lots of news and reports to come
3. Writing project for SLD
4. Chase Your Lion dot com
8. Walk 4 Wells-more info to come. Yes, you are about to be challenged.
10. Trying to be a better husband to my out-of-my-league wife.
Thoughts on my grandfather, Clemson, the BCS, the Heisman Trophy and the off season moves of the Yankees and Red Sox.